Thursday, September 20, 2012

Can't wait for fresh eggs!

As my children are getting a little older, I am finding that my idea of a home/family lifestyle is starting to morph. I always thought I'd want the newer style home with a perfectly manicured yard. And yet, in this last month I have been pining over that newer style home only thing different... I want some land.

You see, last Thursday we got ourselves some chickens. We have been talking about this for the past few months & honestly I didn't think it would happen this soon, but it did. I found the perfect reasonably priced coop on Craigslist. They even brought it to our house, free of charge. After getting the coop, I figured it would be a little while until we picked out some chicks...
Fortunately, we have a friend at church who offered to have us over to check out his chickens. I knew the moment I set foot out there, that this is what I wanted. Land. Animals. Fresh eggs. A great learning experience & environment for my babies.

I can picture us having chickens, a cow to milk, a couple of goats, & a piggie (to slaughter for bacon/sausage) amongst other creatures.
Anywho, Justin gave Braden the chicken net & him & Reagan set off to catch the ones Reago would point to. We took home 3 beautiful Rhoad Island Reds & Reagan named them Sebastian, Beast, & Nemo.
I never thought I'd be so found of poultry. I call them my babies. Jax & I check on them every morning & he loves to spend time just hanging out with them. He is meant to be a country boy. He loves to get his boots on & follow those cheeee-kins all over the back yard.



A couple of days after getting them, one disappeared {Nemo. Go on, make your jokes (Finding Nemo...)}. We plan to pick up another one next week & have been locking them up in the coop at night.

I can't wait to get my first fresh egg which should happen within the next month.

Loving this new little adventure!

No comments: